Join Macquarie’s Commodities and Global Markets Legal team in Houston as a Lawyer.
In this role, you will negotiate agreements in support of its’ North and Latin American commodities business (“Commodity Agreements”). You will be motivated to learn commodity markets and responsible for reviewing, commenting on and negotiating agreements including, without limitation, agreements supporting Macquarie’s petroleum and financial commodities businesses located in Houston.
The primary responsibilities of the lawyer will include the following:
- Coordinating directly with the business and acting at the direction of senior lawyers to understand and document standard and bespoke Commodity Agreements.
- Routing Commodity Agreements for approval.
- Draft, review and negotiate guarantees and confidentiality agreements.
- Reviewing and responding to third party purchase and sale, exchange and buy/sell confirmations and accompanying general terms and conditions.
- Identifying and communicating risks in third party requests for proposals (RFPs) to internal stakeholders.
- Preparing and routing for approval offers in response to RFPs and third-party tenders and negotiating the terms of Macquarie’s bids.
- Ensuring that all contracts, confirmations, and communications are in compliance with internal policies and procedures and have the proper internal approvals; and
- Interacting with commercial, legal, tax, market operations, compliance, credit, and risk management organization personnel to ensure all contract risks are identified and addressed.
- Graduate of an accredited law school and ranked in the top twenty percent of their class
- Currently licensed to practice law in the United States
- Strong oral and written communication skills and comfort with negotiating contractual terms
- Strong attention to detail and comfort working with deal input systems
- Ability to operate in a fast pace, sometimes demanding, environment with reasonable autonomy
- Acts with a high level of personal accountability and ownership for contract process
- Fluent in English with the ability to speak Spanish a plus.
About Commodities and Global Markets
Commodities and Global Markets provides clients with an integrated, end-to-end offering across global markets including equities, fixed income, foreign exchange and commodities. We are a market leader in the environmental products space, having been awarded the 2020 Environmental Products Bank of the Year by Risk Magazine.
Our COVID-19 policy
The health and wellbeing of our employees is a priority. We continue to focus on providing a safe workplace for our people, our stakeholders and those who visit us, and are committed to contributing to the safety of the communities where we live and work.
In line with evolving health regulations and many of our industry peers, we require all Macquarie employees in the United States to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of full vaccination in order to attend the office and to participate in external meetings and business travel, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Macquarie understands the importance of diversity and inclusion - our long history of success has come from being different. At Macquarie we value the innovation and creativity that diversity of thought brings. The one thing we all have in common is our focus on high performance. If you're capable, motivated and can deliver, we want you on our team.
Macquarie is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on the grounds of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, gender identity, marriage, civil partnership, pregnancy, maternity, race (including color and ethnic or national origins), religion or belief.
We recognize that flexibility comes in a variety of forms. Talk to us about what flexibility you need.