Macquarie Group is a global financial services provider with headquarters in Australia and offices in Asia, Europe and Americas.
Our breadth of expertise covers advisory and capital markets, commodity markets, trading and hedging, funds management, asset finance, research and retail financial services. Across our business and operating groups, we have a strong focus on ESG and sustainability, with several of our businesses being industry leaders in this space.
The Risk Management Group (RMG) is an independent, centralised division responsible for assessing and monitoring risks across Macquarie. This includes financial risk types such as market and credit risk and non-financial risk types such as financial crime risk, compliance risk, environmental & social and others. RMG personnel work closely with all business and operating groups to ensure risks are understood and properly managed.
Financial Crime Risk is a separate division with RMG and performs an essential function to our businesses in providing advice on customer onboarding, AML/KYC, sanctions and on anti-bribery & corruption matters. We work with our global FCR programmatic teams, other teams within RMG, with our corporate operations groups and other support teams in policy formation and execution, on performing monitoring and assurance and regulatory management on FCR matters as well as advising on day to day customer/client onboarding queries and standards.
About the role:
We are recruiting for the Lead of FCR Hong Kong based in location but supporting our businesses regionally across 11 countries together with our regional team. The role provides oversight responsibility on anti-money laundering and counter terrorism financing (AML/CTF) matters with coverage on sanctions and Anti-bribery & corruption (AB&C). The role holds specific responsibilities regarding Hong Kong including being the MLRO and holding location responsibility as a designated ‘Manager in Charge’ of AML/CFT.
The successful candidate will play a key role in providing advice on FCR matters to our regional businesses, with specific focus on Macquarie’s capital markets and public investments businesses. The candidate will help develop and implement related policies and procedures which are compliant with our global policies as well as local regulatory requirements. The role will be dynamic and you will be heavily involved in day-to-day customer due diligence advisory and approvals. You will also have the opportunity to interact with global teams, both within our FCR structure and with our businesses and other support teams. The role will have opportunities to lead specific global projects or initiatives.
The role is a senior hire and will be the direct manager of the FCR team based in Hong Kong.
- Manage and provide oversight on execution of our AML/CFT program in Hong Kong. Engage and provide advice on AML/CFT, sanctions and AB&C matters to location compliance teams in region.
- Manage a team of 4 persons in Hong Kong including oversight on their work responsibilities which covers aspects of advisory, transaction monitoring, risk assessments and assurance.
- Develop relationships with business heads in Asia including senior management in Hong Kong.
- Provide advice to businesses in Asia (with a specific focus on Hong Kong) with regards to onboarding of clients, counterparties or others in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Provide advice and/or oversight to the team in engaging the businesses on a transactional or deal specific basis to identify and mitigate FCR risks.
- Engage and manage regulatory relationships specific to FCR including managing regulatory examinations in Hong Kong and providing oversight to other such engagements outside of Hong Kong as needed.
- Engage with and potentially lead regulatory change as it relates to changes in requirements pertaining to AML/CFT, sanctions or anti-bribery & corruption.
- Lead review or process enhancement projects within FCR either working with global FCR programmatic or central office teams or independently.
- Assist in managing Audits as required.
- As required, working with Compliance and other divisions within RMG on RMG-wide initiatives.
Key Skills and Attributes:
- Strong knowledge and experience on FCR regulations in Asia specifically with regards to Hong Kong.
- Have foresight of risk areas and ability to proactively engage and manage such risks systematically whether with business, within RMG or externally.
- Ability to engage and build relationships with senior business stakeholders, understand their products and concerns, providing challenge where necessary on potential issues uncovered regarding financial crime risks.
- Ability to consider commercial implications of policy and outcome of decisions, and taking a risk balanced mindset in leading discussions on solutions.
- Persuasive communication skills both written and verbal. Good written English is a requirement. Abilities in other relevant Asia languages will be considered favourably.
- Strong people management experience or aptitude. Ability to build relationship with team and lead team to achieve overall objectives.
As a successful candidate, you should have a minimum of 8 to 10 years related experience within the banking and finance industry with a significant number of years of experience in financial crime risk/ compliance or in a directly relevant field. Experience in other risk functions that has direct engagement with financial crime risk matters may be considered if it can be demonstrated that coverage of financial crime risk forms a majority part of prior roles.
The role is a senior hire, reporting to the Regional Head of FCR Asia, and is an excellent opportunity to join the growing Global FCR Division within our Risk Management Group.