Fixed Income, Currencies and Commodities (FICC) provides a variety of services across the globe with an underlying specialisation in interest rate, commodity or foreign exchange related institutional trading, marketing, lending, clearing or platform provision.
The predominant FICC client base is financial institutions and significant commodity producers and consumers. With structuring, sales and trading professionals in the Australia, New Zealand, the Americas, Canada, Asia and the Middle East, FICC offers quality service and risk management solutions to meet our clients' needs.
Macquarie's Metals and Energy Capital ("MEC") Division provides a wide range of financing alternatives as well as commodity and currency hedging and trading facilities to its clients in the mining and oil and gas sectors. MEC has offices in Sydney, Perth, Vancouver, Toronto, London, Houston and Calgary. MEC is a division of Macquarie Bank Ltd, a Sydney-based A rated banking institution which is part of Australian Stock Exchange listed Macquarie Group.
MEC has an opportunity for a Senior Geologist to join the team in Vancouver to assist in the technical aspects of originating and evaluating investment and loan opportunities and managing the existing mining loan and investment portfolio. We are seeking a professional geologist with an interest in applying their technical experience to mining finance.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Sourcing, structuring and assessing new finance facilities and investments in the mining sector, with a focus on precious and base metals
- Analyzing technical, commercial and financial information and preparing and presenting submissions to senior management and the Credit group for approval
- Undertaking site visits to mining projects
- Managing and executing technical due diligence
- Working closely with internal colleagues, external clients and consultants to evaluate, implement and manage debt and equity transactions
- Maintaining and developing relationships with existing and potential clients
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A university degree in Geology
- 10+ years of technical experience working within, and/or consulting to, the mining industry
- Practical minesite experience, preferably including significant exposure to both open pit and underground mining across several operations
- Strong resource and reserve estimation experience and a critical understanding of geostatistical techniques
- Experience with other aspects of mining besides geology, for example preparing feasibility studies
- Attention to detail and sound judgement in assessing mining related opportunities
- An eye for industry trends and a network of industry contacts
- Exposure to, and further studies in, commercial and finance areas would be advantageous
This outstanding opportunity would ideally suit a commercially oriented person wishing to leverage their strong mining industry background and pursue a career in mining finance. MEC has a strong platform with several decades of experience and a track record of successful financings and relationships internationally and in Canada.
Macquarie is an equal opportunity employer (M/F/D/V)