Macquarie Capital is a global merchant bank that provides advisory & capital raising services and invests its balance sheet in private equity investments. With staff in 37 offices across 22 locations, Macquarie Capital is a truly global business. A role in the team will expose you to a dynamic working environment and the opportunity to contribute to high-profile transactions.
Principal Transactions Group ("PTG") represents Macquarie Capital's merchant banking activities, providing flexible capital to companies to underpin growth, whether organic or through acquisition, and to provide alternative balance sheet solutions to traditional capital markets, including private equity and debt investments.
PTG works hand in hand with Macquarie Capital's investment banking platform to source, develop, structure, analyze, negotiate and complete investments, across the capital structure, with a focus on private equity or equity-like investments. PTG invests directly in LBOs, private equity, growth, late stage venture & mezzanine transactions with investment sizes ranging from $25m to $300.
We are current seeking to recruit an Associate for the Portfolio Management team at Macquarie’s Principal Transactions Group. Reporting into the head of Portfolio Management in the US, you will play a key role in managing Macquarie Capital’s principal investment portfolio.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Overseeing and reporting on the team’s origination activities and new investment pipeline
- Supporting origination of and operational / commercial diligence efforts for new investment opportunities
- Ensuring effective onboarding of new investments, including implementation of Macquarie’s governance and risk management requirements where required
- Collaborating with deal teams to monitor portfolio company developments and investment milestones and reporting portfolio updates to senior management
- Preparing, administering and managing all aspects of the team’s Quarterly Portfolio Review process including collating portfolio company financials, updating financial models, working with deal teams to prepare presentation materials, and preparing portfolio summary reports for executive management
- Coordinating the team’s budgeting process and maintaining the forecast model for the principal book in conjunction with Macquarie’s finance team
- Working with deal teams and portfolio company management to identify and drive value creation opportunities at investee companies
- Identifying and implementing opportunities to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of PTG’s investing and asset management processes
- Assisting the US Head of Asset Management with targeted projects
Through the above responsibilities, you will often be dealing directly with, and have access to, senior executives across the various business lines within Macquarie Capital and at select portfolio companies. This exposure to senior leaders, coupled with the experience you will gain as a member of the Principal Transactions Group, will provide a robust foundation which can open up broader potential career opportunities within Macquarie.
To be successful, you will likely have 3-5 years’ experience in Investment Banking, Professional Services, Management Consulting or a similar role within a Corporate environment and be able to demonstrate:
- a sound understanding of financial, accounting and valuation concepts
- advanced excel and financial modelling skills
- strong attention to detail
- the ability to think strategically about businesses and market opportunities
- a proactive approach to dealing with matters and able to use own initiative and drive;
- experience successfully managing projects to tight deadlines
- strong communication skills; both written and verbal and confidence in presenting to a range of audiences
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status. Macquarie takes affirmative action in support of its policy to hire and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.